Monday, January 28, 2008

RAG week

Note: This blog entry is mostly just going to be pictures. I'm including a lot of excess commentary only because I don't want to just throw a bunch of pictures up. If a closer look to a specific picture is desired, just click on it and it will enlarge.

This last week was RAG week. It stands for I think 'raise and give' as in give/raise money for charities, but mostly it was just a glorified party week at UCC. No one went to their classes (except of course being the excellent student I am, I went to mine... and then got annoyed by like wednesday that no one else was there so then I finally gave in). Along with poor class attendance, RAG week was an opportunity for all the students to hang out at the on-campus pubs and listen/dance to the daily DJ competitions, and then go out at night to the daily events held around town that were hosted by the students' union. I never made it to the campus pub during the weekday afternoons because the lines (no one calls them 'lines' here- everyone says 'queues') outside were pretty hardcore and I never got motivated enough to stand outside in the rain for an hour to get in. We went out a lot at night though to pubs, which were also whoa crowded, and then on Thursday we went out to the final event held for RAG week which was a costume ball at Cork's City Hall. This band called 'Future Kings of Spain' played and they were pretty good, but they were a little screamo. My roommates and I dressed up- Kym was a pirate and Johnny was a German soccer player. I just wore a dress because I didn't have any costumes lying around my apartment and I didn't really want to go buy one. It was a good night though.

Sunday we went hiking again and it was beautiful. We went to a place called Mahon Falls (I think) but the waterfall was just at the beginning. After about 15 minutes of climbing up right next to the waterfall, we passed it and then it just became another mountain hike. Except this time the weather was completely perfect. Not only was it not raining but it was also very sunny with an incredible blue sky. The hike itself was kind of hard, as usual, only because it was another mountain and kind of muddy again. Only this time it wasn't like bog-mud-water, so it didn't seem so bad. We ate lunch at this overhang cliff, which also had a really nice view. Actually I'm not going to lie. The entire hike had good views.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I missed you so much this weekend, but I'm glad you had another fantastic week in Ireland! Love you!

laura said...

i want to hike and see the views and climb the mountains and smell the irish air.......i miss you!!!!