Friday, January 4, 2008

orientation and rain

So it rained today and my jeans got completely soaked. As if on the way to class I spotted a nearby pond and took a quick swim, got out, and then proceeded to carry on with my day. Halfway through the afternoon I just gave up on the idea of an umbrella and just accepted the fact that my pants were now permanently adhered to my legs.

Last night Madison (another NCSU exchange student) and I went to a pub for the first time. We picked one that was close to my house and it turned out to be a lot of fun. We made friends with the bartenders and ended up getting a free drink on the house which was pretty sweet. I had my first official Guinness of Ireland, which I was not expecting to be good at all because I have tried the ones back home and its like drinking tar. Or tar flavored syrup. Turns out, though, that Guinness in Ireland is whoa different and was actually really good. Who knew. I also met 2 more roommates who happened to be at the same pub that night- a couple that will be living in the upstairs room of our house.

Yesterday and today we went through the UCC orientation where I got an official UCC student ID card and learned that the registration process would be as one professor called it "organized chaos." Therefore, I have not registered for classes yet and won't until next week around the 16th I think. Basically we just show up at the classes we want to take on Monday, test it out for a bit, and then decide later if it is a class that we actually want to take. Makes sense I guess but I'd rather just use PackTracks and know in like 5 minutes whether or not I'm taking 'Music in the Films of Stanley Kubrick' for example.

We also got phones today at this cellphone store, where the salesclerk proceeded to sing me a rendition of the SNL skit when I asked him if they had any phone-in-a-box's. On the way home, we stopped at a local Fish and Chips restaurant and had an amazing yet whoa greasy meal that managed to soak through 2 layers of paper onto the table. You can't really tell from the picture, but the fish was huge. I could only eat half of it and stuck the other half in the refrigerator so tomorrow I can play a game called 'is fried food edible the day after'.

Me and Madison in front of the UCC campus:

6 comments:

jossoco said...

1. Wet jeans are possibly the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (as I'm sure you are aware).
2. Did you take that picture of the Guinness?? Because if so, you should probably consider a career in promotional beer photography.
3. I think you mean MyPack.
4. I hope that is an actual course.

Hannah said...

emily, you are a good blogger. make it a career.

ryan said...

is that the school from dead poets society? or perhaps wayne manor?

Unknown said...

emily! i am living vicariously through your blog! i am glad you are having such a great time!!
Sara Dixon

Jim said...

Welcome to the dark side [Guinness that is]. Have a few more and you'll never go back.

Lauren said...

Phone in a box.... hmmm doesn't sound as fun as wine in box... or cube as it may be...

It sounds like you are having such a fun time! I miss you much!!!