Tuesday, May 13, 2008

the one about food

I was reading back through some of my old blogs and some of it made me laugh. For example, Kym and Johnny are not married- in fact, they are both a year younger than me and that would be weird. I'm not sure why I thought two of my roommates were married in the first place. Also, the part about all guys wearing track suits is not true. Turns out like a whole lot of them do but it is a certain type of person who wears track suits, and I'm not going to get into that right now because I'm not entirely sure how politically correct all that is.

But anyway, food. I have been making a lot of food since coming to Ireland for two reasons: 1. We don't have a living room so if I get tired of my 7 sq. ft room I have to go to the kitchen and 2. All of my roommates are crazy good cooks. Ok well maybe not like 3 of them but everyone else is. Kym and Johnny are really into vegetarian health food and Laura and Robin are really into crazy extravagant meals that include doing things like making pasta from scratch before making spaghetti.
Every once in a while, we will make a meal that is impressive enough that I'll go take a picture of it because I'll probably never do it again (similar to the fresh Italian food that Veronika brought back from Italy earlier).

Here are two of them:

1. Smoked salmon bagel. We got up early in the morning and walked to the Quay Co-op health food store in city center and bought fresh bagels. They had just been cooked, so they were warm and fresh. Amazing. We then went into the English Market to the fish center and bought fresh smoked salmon- caught and made in Ireland (I think actually our whole idea came from the fact that Ireland was known for its smoked salmon and we wanted to try it). Then we bought fresh sundried tomatoes from another shop in the English Market which were super expensive but super good. The cream cheese and sprouts came from Tesco, the best grocery store ever, but those were like normal food items. Best sandwich ever. Probably cost like 7 euros per bagel but still. Best sandwich ever.


2. S'mores. Haha these were ridiculous. They probably speak for themselves...

Oh and the yellow marshmallows? Leftover Peeps from my Easter Basket that my mom mailed me from home. Poor peeps didn't stand a chance in our grill.

1 comment:

MagAttacksYou said...

I freaking LOVE Tesco!! It's coming to the U.S., but only to California. I'm going to convince them to come to the East Coast, too. Hope you enjoy the last part of your trip!