Thursday, June 12, 2008

gothenburg take 2

I LOVE Gothenburg. Like whoa, actually. So far, this is my favorite city. People say that Stockholm is better than Gothenburg, but Idk. I think I have found my future home. Therefore, the plan for my life now goes like this...
1. Learn Swedish
2. Move to Gothenburg
3. Live forever

But, what has happened so far...

Johanna had to go to work so I hung out with Marie (her friend) for the first part of the afternoon. Gothenburg is apparently known for their seafood- esp. their shrimp/prawn. So, for lunch I had another shrimp sandwich at this cafe and it was soo good. I can't remember if I have ever put shrimp in a sandwich before coming to Sweden, but check one for Gothenburg.
Marie said that Sweden is, especially lately, very health conscious. Most all the bread you can buy is whole grained of some sort, because fiber is in right now.

Marie had to go to work around 3, so I wandered around for a while. I saw the Redoubt Crown (according to wiki, a redoubt is a 'a fort or fort system usually consisting of an enclosed defensive emplacement outside a larger fort, usually relying on earthworks, though others are constructed of stone or brick'). It had a nice view of the city around it, but that was about it.

I then met up with Isadora-the girl I would be staying with for the next 2 nights. Isadora was really cool- she volunteers for Greenpeace, and she is a huge activist with them. She was telling me all about the things that she has done, and apparently got sent to jail once for protesting something. She actually was going to protest a ship that hunted endangered fish the next day, so I would be on my own once again. That night though we went to a pub in the city to watch the European soccer cup, because Sweden was playing Greece. Sweden won- 2 to 0, so I chose the right city to visit on game day.

The next day I walked all over Gothenburg. The city wasn't too big so I could get around anywhere on foot, but by that night my legs were pretty tired.

Gothenburg is BEAUTIFUL. There was this one part of town, right before you got to Haga (the old part of town), where there were a few blocks of huge, old, beautiful buildings (left). After I learn Swedish, I will also then become a millionaire, and then I will move myself to an apartment in this area.

Right around lunchtime, I went on a Paddan river tour (I am obviously not on the tour in the picture below, but this was one of the Paddan tour boats, like the one I took) and we went around the city to see all the main buildings. The driver was really nice and friendly, and told really lame jokes that all the old women laughed at. I was the only one on the boat that spoke English, but he still translated everything he said into English for my benefit, so that was cool.
We got to this one bridge, though, which was apparently the lowest bridge in Gothenburg, and we all had to get off our seats and crouch in the aisles as to not pull an Anne Boleyn. The tour guide called this bridge the 'cheese slicer' (see right- the guide is facing us, and the green bridge directly above his head was how close we were). Momentary excitement, but then once I realized we were not all about to die, the excitement was over and the tour continued on.

For lunch I went to a market and bought shrimp salad and a roll, and made a sandwich that I ate at a park. I then walked back into Haga and had coffee on the strip. Very good coffee and very cute part of town.
One of the things that Gothenburg is famous for, other than its shrimp, is its amusement park 'Liseberg'. I walked to it, but when I realized that it cost like 20 dollars just to get in, let alone another 60 dollars to ride any rides, I let that one go. Also, I am not a huge theme park person, which I blame the fact that we never went to Disneyworld, therefore never having the early brainwashing like the rest of America. But, I hear its a good park, so maybe I'll go back when I move here. Instead, I went to the Gothenburg museum, which may or may not have been the creepiest museum ever. This was probably because I was the only visitor in all 4 floors, and it was kind of dark with Viking exhibits, etc. I couldn't help but thinking about 'Night at the Museum' as I creaked around in the empty rooms. One in particular was kind of crazy- it was this whole room, filled with little neon cubicles and chairs (right). I looked at those for a while, but got sufficiently creeped out and left.

Today I bought more ice cream and visited the Botanic gardens. Not going to lie, but it wasn't all that impressive. I am my fathers daughter, and take way too many pictures as well, but probably took about 3 the whole time I was there. One of the ones I took, though, (left) is of the Japanese inspired pond. I was thinking about taking a ferry to an archipelago, but I don't know if I'll have time. Haha, when I think of archipelagos, I think of Farmington Woods when Ken Coriale won that competition for knowing what one was. Haha man good times...

Anyway, I LOVE Gothenburg. Love love love it. I'm sad to leave it tomorrow, but Stockholm is calling!

3 comments:

rsgradio said...

You must be a good-luck charm for every sporting contest. Just about each team has won when you watched them, whether football or rugby. Maybe you should go to China for the Olympics and cheer on the USA teams!!! But the better bet would be to root for a European or South American team. Some day maybe the US can compete with them.

Dad

laura said...

yeah, but too bad china has protesters about tibet. also, you might need to wear a face mask due to the pollution. yikers.

juliatravels said...

Hey Emily, this is Julia Howie. Maggie sent me the link to your blog because my family is from Sweden! I read that you had heard Stockholm is supposed to be better than Gothenburg...well, I've personally never been to Gothenburg but Stockholm is one of my most favorite places on this planet! I think Gothenburg, based off of your pictures, seems like a miniature version of Stockholm. My cousin actually lived in Gothenburg for a year and loved it down there. But, some places you need to visit in Stockholm- Gamla Stan (the old part of town), the royal palace, the city hall (its along the water and is just gorgeous, great place for a picnic), if you have time go across Slussen to Söder for some good shopping (if you ask a local they'll know what area I'm talking about), and, finally, try to go to Djurgarden. It's a little island past Gamla Stan. It has a great animal park, Skansen, great parks in general, and just some gorgeous older buildings! I hope I didn't overwhelm you! Oh, and be sure to get some ice cream in Gamla Stan! and if you haven't yet, try the bread called limpa, it is my favorite. It is usually sold in grocery stores :)

Have fabulous time in Stockholm!